Thursday, June 2, 2011

Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor, Blue/White Review

Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor, Blue/White Review
I have to say, I love this monitor. I will admit that when I had my first child, monitors like these seemed silly to me. I mean, Isn't that part of learning to be a parent-- just eventually trusting that your child is ok without monitoring them every second? Well, when my second child was diagnosed with laryngomalacia and her airway would close on her, I started to think a monitor like this was a good idea. The pediatrician recommended against it (she thought there would be too many false alarms. etc.), but I got it anyway and I am so glad! It has enabled me to sleep so much better and to sleep my daughter on her tummy (a position that helps her breathing) because I know she is being monitored. The logistics of it are this: The pad is under the baby's mattress and leads directly to the monitoring device so the device is in the room with the baby. This is the basic model, it just monitors movement, no sound monitoring or temperature (I have no idea why you would need this) like with the other models. You can just use a regular baby monitor with it if you are in another room to make sure you hear the sound if it goes off. It has a very handy warning blip that goes off if the monitor detects no movement for 15 seconds (e.g. you picked the baby up without turing the monitor off) so you can turn it off before the alarm sounds (at 20 seconds). The alarm is like an alarm clock, loud, but not crazy-loud. We have been using it for two months now (our daughter is three months old) and have had no false alarms. From what I read, people start getting false alarms at around six months of age, when the babies are really mobile and can move far off the monitor. Since the risk of SIDS (and my daughter's issue) greatly decreases by six months of age this isn't a problem for me.
Read more about Angelcare Baby Movement Monitor, Blue/White Review...

No comments:

Post a Comment