Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fisher-Price Long Distance Baby Monitor, 900MHz - White/Grey Review

Fisher-Price Long Distance Baby Monitor, 900MHz - White/Grey Review
We got this as a baby shower gift, and we opened it up before the baby was born. All was well the first time I tested the base and the handset unit when plugged into the wall, so I discarded the packaging.



After the baby was born a month later, however, I tried to put three AAA batteries (not included) into the back of the handset unit to use it. It stopped working--both the AC and DC power sources. I tried taking the batteries out, but it didn't work even when plugged into the wall outlet.



I called Amazon to tell them it was defective, and they said that I couldn't replace the unit because it was no longer available. Instead, they "refunded" me only $34.91 of an $89.95 + tax unit with a gift card. I feel bad for the person who bought this for us at our shower, because they just threw money away. And we're still without a working baby monitor. It's too bad the unit was defective in the first place, and it's really shameful customer service on the part of Amazon.com.



My advice is to shop around! My sister loaned us a Summer Infant, Inc. monitor that has been working well--and it's at least 3, maybe even 6 years old.
I have a complicated house with big stone walls blocking off rooms from each other, so I need audio monitors with good long-range capabilities. I struck out with the Graco Vibe iMonitor, which claims a 2000-ft range, and so I tried this one instead. I can't go from one corner of the house to the other, so instead I have to leave the receiver in one room and turn the volume up pretty high so I can hear it from the rest of the house. With the volume up any appreciable amount, there is a lot of humming and background white noise, that sounds like the fan on my laptop running. So although I am able to listen in on the nursery, I also have to listen to a lot of noise that isn't really there. I just bought the Summer Infant Day & Night video monitor, which also operates at 900 Mhz, and I am amazed at how crisp and low-noise its audio is compared to this Fisher-Price unit. Also, I'm not entirely sure how the red indicator lights work on this receiver, since my baby can be crying his head off and only one LED lights up.



The product didn't cost a whole lot so I'm not too upset about buying it, but I would not recommend the product to any other parents. For audio only, I am much more impressed with the Sony line of monitors and will stick with them from now on.
Read more about Fisher-Price Long Distance Baby Monitor, 900MHz - White/Grey Review...

No comments:

Post a Comment