Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Slim&secure Handheld Review

Slim&secure Handheld Review
I've been using this monitor for almost 6 months, and I absolutely love love love the picture quality, the sound quality, and how small and portable it is. The battery life is good too. It has a belt clip so I can clip it to my pajamas or jeans and cruise around the house while my baby is sleeping. It's easy to turn the monitor on and off with a tap on the top button. The battery has never died on me, I keep it plugged in next to my bed at night, and carry it with me during all daytime naps with no charging. The sound is great, it has very little static, though the static increases when the monitor is on, it is almost gone when the monitor is off. I can actually hear and see my baby breathe! The only thing I don't like is that it has frozen up on me twice. Once after two months of use, and once today. The first time I called Summer and they emailed me a return label to cover shipping. I sent it back and it was about 2 weeks to receive the new one. I bought a cheapo FP audio only monitor to use in the meantime, it sucked and had lots of static. My monitor died on me again tonight, first the button on top to turn the monitor on and off stopped working earlier today, and now the screen is frozen off, won't turn on or off, and I can't power down the monitor or change the volume. I'm going to try removing the back cover and taking the battery out to try to reset it before I call Summer. I don't want to be without my monitor for two weeks again! All problems aside, I would buy this monitor again because I love being able to watch my son sleep.

***Update: I took out the battery and powered on and it's all better. I should have tried that last time, lol! To remove the battery you have to remove the belt clip (use a straight slot screwdriver to pry it out on one side), then slide the battery compartment open. I feel like a moron, oh well, I have my monitor back!
I purchased this particluar monitor from babies r us in January because the lower priced Summer model was causing me issues with security. We live in a condo complex so the other model was causing interference/static with about 6 other babies on the street and keeping us up all night. So, we bought this slim and secure model. At first, we were extremely happy with it(5 star rating). This purchase was in January of 2010. In less than 2 months the monitor froze on us in the middle of the night(the night my son had the stomach flu, of all nights) and I woke up and the monitor had him in the exact same position as the night before. I was horrified. What if he vomited and choked, we're on a different level in the house...is he alive? It turns out, the video froze from the night before, I couldn't turn it off, and the volume didn't work. It was past the 30 days to return and luckily I bought the 15 month buyer protection plan and got my money back, minus the buyer protection cost(which is ridiculous because I didn't even have the monitor 2 months). Anyway, I bought this exact same model thinking I just had some random defective one. I bought this last week and here I am sitting here and looked over at the monitor and it's frozen black with no picture, I can't shut it off, turn on the volume, and the button doesn't work to turn on the picture. I didn't mention before that the only way to make it work again is to open the back compartment and take out the battery and put it back in. And then just hope it doesn't freeze in the middle of the night.



I am writing this as I noticed another review with the exact same issue. This seems to be a problem with Summer. I am going back to the store tomorrow to return this monitor that is not working after only a week and going to search for another brand....not Summer. My son has only just turned 2 and we've had problems with 3 Summer monitors :(
Read more about Slim&secure Handheld Review...

No comments:

Post a Comment