Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mobi Mobicam Av Audio/video Baby Monitoring System with Extra Camera Review

Mobi Mobicam Av Audio/video Baby Monitoring System with Extra Camera Review
We have had the Mobicam Ultra for a couple of years for our daughter and decided to get this new system when our son was born so that we could monitor both rooms using just the one monitor. The monitor itself has two stations and each camera gets one station. When you set the monitor to scan these it flips back and forth about every 10 seconds between the two cameras so that you can see/hear what is going on in each room.



PROS:

*Does allow you to monitor two rooms at once (not simultaneously but scans on it's own). Not all multicamera systems out there do this, they can only monitor one room at a time.

*Decent sound and video quality.



CONS:

*The ability to choose between VOX mode and camera mode is on the camera itself which means going into baby's room to make the switch, rather defeating the purpose of the monitor. The Ultra had this setting on the monitor so I could keep it on voice activation mode all the time and then switch over real quick if I just wanted to make sure she was still in bed etc. This was a big deal for me because when I switched to camera mode in the Ultra I was even able to hear her breathing and feel reassured that she was OK. With the AV, when you set it in camera mode there was (for us) static that I did not want to listen to all the time. Same is the case with the Ultra but since the setting is on the monitor I would just switch back to VOX once I knew all was well and not have to listen to the static.

*The volume dial on the AV does not have numbers as the Ultra did. With the Ultra I knew I wanted the volume at 3 or 4 but without the benefit of numbers on the AV it's a guessing game as to how loud it's going to be when she makes a noise.

*Lots of interference/static. There was static each time the scan switched the channel and sometimes just random static while on one channel.

*The kicker, and ultimately why we had to return the item... we could see and hear another baby. I live in a free standing house and the nearest baby to me is across a wide street and down a house so I assumed that was the baby I was seeing however I have now spoken with everyone on my block that has a baby in a crib and none of them have a video monitor so I have no idea whose baby I was seeing. My best guess is that it's someone from one block over, behind my across the street neighbors. That's pretty far away and even Mobi was surprised when I told them I thought I was seeing the baby just across the street. FYI, Mobi also indicated that the interference and static I experienced was probably due to this other monitor so perhaps others would not have as much interference as I did.



We decided to get a digital instead (which incidentally is also what Mobi suggested). We didn't get the Mobi digital because my first issue above is still the case with that system. So far I like the digital (even though it's more expensive) MUCH better than both the monitors I refer to above.
Read more about Mobi Mobicam Av Audio/video Baby Monitoring System with Extra Camera Review...

No comments:

Post a Comment