Thursday, August 12, 2010

Safety 1st Prism Color Video Baby Monitor, Black Review

Safety 1st Prism Color Video Baby Monitor, Black Review
The primary function of this device is to transmit video to a remote monitor and it does a satisfactory job of that. Its range is 200' at most but I live in New York City where the amount of interference is very high so I'll settle for that. Everything else about this device is shoddy and its design suggests that very little thought was put into it. Here's a list of what I think are significant flaws.



TRANSMITTER DESIGN: It's very light for its bulky size. There should be a clamp and a swan/flexible neck so the camera can be mounted on something like a crib and pointed in any direction you want. As it is, it has to sit on a flat surface - in my case that's a table or the rail of the crib. For the latter the unit needs to be balanced ever so perfectly because even the very skinny power cord is enough to pull the unit over on account of it's light weight and smooth underside.



RECEIVER DESIGN: The same problems I just mentioned also apply to the receiver. It seems very light for its size. The base is narrower than the rest of the unit and is also smooth, hard plastic. Keeping it upright and pointed in the right direction is difficult unless you wedge it between other objects. Again the power cord, flimsy as it is, is enough to spin this thing right around with even the slightest jostle. A wide set of three legs with rubber stoppers would do wonders for this device. Also, the buttons are cheap and too small for someone with larger hands.



VOLUME: Most audio devices have a scale from one to ten, this device's scale looks more like this: 0, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10. Which is to say it's either silent, loud or louder. Yes, I want it loud when I'm asleep so that it wakes me up but if I'm reading or doing some other quiet activity I don't need every creak or slight noise echoing through my apartment. Which brings me to my next complaint:



AUDIO DELAY: The reviewer that likened it to poltergeist got it perfectly. The offset causes everything that's picked up by the transmitter to have it's own echo. Sometimes a sound can be heard live, then the echo is heard, then the monitor picks up the echo and "re-echos" it. I feel like I'm in the Swiss Alps.



BATTERY LIFE: It's much shorter than I expected. It seems like they went overboard in cutting manufacturing costs.



Anyway, I hope there are better devices out there. In the meantime this one will to the job, barely.
the video quality is excellent. we have a wireless router in our home and so far no interference. i agree w/ the other reviewer who said to turn off VOX, set to video Always On, and use button to control video on/off. the camera unit is lightweight and easy to hang on the wall and has nice range of motion (manual). i use this to monitor my 19 month old in the playroom while i am in the next room cooking or doing dishes. i am planning to get a 2nd camera to monitor my newborn as well.



2 features i would like to see: charging dock & video out jack. is annoying to plug in the parent unit and would be awesome to be able to plug it into a larger screen such as a laptop or tv. too bad these features were left off while totally useless features like calendar, alarm, clock, & thermometer were left in...must i be vigilant in detecting a drastic temperature change in the nursery that must be monitored??? will a fireball or glacier be sliding by??
Read more about Safety 1st Prism Color Video Baby Monitor, Black Review...

No comments:

Post a Comment